Latest Patch Notes
See the Ability Pruning section above for discussion of why we're pruning or consolidating class abilities.Hunter
s have lacked a strong distinction between the different specializations. What we mean by that is that the Hunter
specializations all had rotations that felt similar, with Marksmanship and Survival having the most blurred identities (Beast Mastery felt well rooted in the pet). Hunter
s were also some of the most afflicted by button bloat. To address these problems, we opted to make changes to each specialization's rotation, primarily through removing abilities, and making some of them unique to each spec. This means things like Aimed Shot
being the primary Focus dump for Marksmanship, instead of Arcane Shot
or Serpent Sting
being available only to Survival. Hunter
s also had a large number of cooldown abilities, which we've also cut down (some of which we moved to the talent tree, competing with other active buttons).Aspect of the Hawk
has been removed.
- Aspect of the Iron Hawk has been renamed to Iron Hawk, and now passively provides a 10%reduction to all damage taken.
has been removed as a pet ability.Hunter's Mark
has been removed.Kill Shot
is no longer available to Survival Hunters.
Master Marksman has been removed.Piercing Shots
has been removed.
Rapid Recuperation has been removed.Stampede
is now a level-75 talent, replacing Lynx Rush
Steady Focus has been removed.Rabid
has been removed as a pet ability.Rapid Fire
is now available only to Marksmanship Hunters.Improved Serpent Sting
has been removed and its effects have been incorporated into a redesigned Serpent Sting
Viper Venom has been removed and its effects have been incorporated into a redesigned Serpent Sting
has been redesigned based on Serpent Spread and is now available only to Survival Hunters.
Ability Consolidation and Refinement
Go for the Throat
- Cobra Strikes now has a 20% chance to trigger (up from a 15% chance), but now only grants 1 charge each time it triggers (down from 2 charges).
- Frenzy has been removed and its effects have been incorporated into Focus Fire.
Focus Fire now naturally grants the Hunter's pet the ability to gain Frenzy.
has been removed and its effects have been incorporated into Invigoration
.The Beast Within
has been removed and its effects have been incorporated into Bestial Wrath
.Lock and Load
's effects have been incorporated into Black Arrow
's cooldown is reset if it is dispelled.Mend Pet
and Revive Pet
now share the same button and changes based on the condition of the Hunter
's pet.Thrill of the Hunt
now has a 6% chance to trigger for every 10 Focus spent (instead of a flat 30% chance).
Rotation Depth and Talents
We've changed the combat rotations of each Hunter
specialization (primarily through Ability Pruning) with the goal of them being a platform to build upon with talents. To facilitate this, we've modified several talents to add additional rotational depth. Hunter
s had many talent options which added abilities to their rotation, but most of them had quite simple usage, with little interaction with your rotation or other abilities. Now, there should be more of a variety; still some simple talents, but also some talents that create a more engaging combat rotation.
- Barrage now has a 20 second cooldown (down from 30 seconds), costs 60 Focus (up from 30 Focus), and its damage has been increased by 100%.
- Murder of Crows has been changed. Its duration, cost, and cooldown have been reduced by 50%. It no longer has a shorter cooldown when used on low health targets. Instead, its cooldown is reset if the target dies.
- Fervor has been replaced with a new passive ability, Steady Focus.
Steady Focus increases Focus Regeneration by 50% for 10 seconds after using Cobra Shot or Steady Shot twice in a row, or after using Focusing Shot.
- Dire Beast now restores 2 Focus per hit (down from 5 Focus per hit).
One of the most difficult abilities to decide to cut was Aspect of the Hawk
. It began to feel fairly meaningless, since it was used virtually all of the time in combat, so might as well have just been passive. We decided to cut Aspect of the Hawk
, and bake in its benefit to the other abilities. The remaining aspect abilities are all utility only, and are being moved off the stance bar and made toggles.
Overall, Hunters should see a drastic reduction in the number of active buttons, and have a clearer distinction between the different specializations. With some of these changes, you may find yourself favoring a different specialization. Keep in mind that Draenor Perks, earned from levels 91 to 99, will serve to further distinguish the different specializations.
One of our new secondary stats Multistrike, is strikingly similar to the Wild Quiver Mastery for Marksmanship Hunters. To address this similarity, we replaced Wild Quiver with a new Mastery: Sniper Training
. Marksmanship Hunters that favored Mastery before will want to favor Multistrike for a similar feel. For their new Mastery, we wanted to add some depth to their moment-to-moment gameplay, and compliment Critical Strike. In order to do that, we brought back the concept of Sniper Training
We also changed the design of Chimera Shot
(and fixed its name), in order to better capture the intended flavor. Finally, we added an interaction between Careful Aim
and Rapid Fire
(and indirectly Aimed Shot
through a Draenor Perk), so as to add a bit more depth to their gameplay.
- Bombardment now reduces the cost of Multi-Shot by 25 Focus (up from a 20 Focus reduction to cost).
- Mastery: Wild Quiver has been removed.
- Sniper Training is a new Mastery for Marksmanship Hunters, replacing Wild Quiver.
Sniper Training activates when the Hunter stands still for 3 seconds, giving them the Sniper Training effect for 6 seconds, increasing damage, shot range, and critical strike damage by 4% (increased by Mastery).
has been renamed Chimaera Shot
. It is now a two-headed shot that hits two targets, costs 35 Focus (down from 45 Focus) and deals Frost or Nature damage. It no longer heals the Hunter
now also provides its effect against all targets when Rapid Fire
is active, and increases critical strike chance by 60% (down from 75%).
Apart from rotational changes through Ability Pruning, changes for Survival Hunters mostly center on Lock and Load
. We changed how Lock and Load
is triggered to increase the value of Multistrike, provide gameplay depth and the ability to pool damage more. Also note the new passive ability, Survivalist
, which increases multistrike chance by 10%, in order to give Survival Hunters some baseline Multistrike chance.
- Explosive Shot now costs 15 Focus (down from 25 Focus).
- Survivalist is a new passive ability learned by Survival Hunters at level 10.
Survivalist increases Multistrike damage by 20% and causes the Hunter to gain 15% health over 10 seconds after killing a target.
Hunter Pet Abilities
We did a comprehensive pass on Hunter
pet abilities. As mentioned above in Crowd Control and Diminishing Returns, all full crowd-control abilities have been removed from Hunter
pets and replaced those with new abilities, including spreading some that were previously restricted to exotic pets. Additionally, Hunters can now tame beasts from new pet families.
- Several raid buffs provided by Hunter Pets have been changed into auras that are automatically applied to the Hunter's party or raid.
- Abilities unique to each hunter pet family has been revised to provide a standard buff, debuff, or ability.
Combat Resurrection ability: Crane, Moth, Quilen
- Mortal Wounds debuff: Carrion Bird, Devilsaur, Riverbeast, Scorpid
- Increased Spell Power buff: Serpent, Silithid, Water Strider
- Increased Strength/Agility/Intellect buff: Dog, Gorilla, Shale Spider, Worm
- Increased Critical Strike Chance buff: Devilsaur, Quilen, Raptor, Shale Spider, Water Strider, Wolf
- Temporary Haste buff: Core Hound, Nether Ray
- Increased Haste buff: Rylak, Hyena, Sporebat, Wasp
- Increased Mastery buff: Cat, Hydra, Spirit Beast, Tallstrider
- Increased Stamina buff: Bear, Goat, Rylak, Silithid
- Increased Multistrike buff: Basilisk, Chimaera, Core Hound, Dragonhawk, Fox, Clefthoof, Wind Serpent
- Increased Versatility buff: Bird of Prey, Boar, Porcupine, Ravager, Clefthoof, Worm
- An ability that increases dodge chance of the pet by 30% for 10 seconds: Bat, Monkey
- An ability that reduces damage taken by the pet by 50% for 12 seconds: Beetle, Crab, Quilen, Clefthoof, Shale Spider, Turtle
- An ability that Reduces the movement speed of the target by 50%: Chimaera, Crocolisk, Silithid, Spider, Warp Stalker
- The following pet families provide an ability that puts the pet in stealth mode slowing its movement speed by 50%. The first attack from stealth receives a 20% bonus to damage: Cat, Spirit Beast
- The following pet families provide an additional ability.
Chimaera -Froststorm Breath: Causes Froststorm damage to all targets in front of the Chimaera over 8 seconds.
- Core Hound - Molten Hide: Causes Fire damage to attackers.
- Devilsaur -Feast: The devilsaur feasts on a nearby Humanoid or Beast corpse within 5 yards, healing it for 20% of its maximum health and restoring 20 Focus over 5 seconds.
- Direhorn -Reflective Armor Plating: Deflects all spells cast in front of the Direhorn for 6 seconds.
- Rylak - Updraft: Slows the fall speed of both itself and the hunter for 30 seconds.
- Spirit Beast -Spirit Mend: Heals the target ally instantly, and additional healing over 10 seconds.
- Water Strider -Surface Trot: Allows the Hunter and the Water Strider to walk across water.
- Worm -Burrow Attack: Deals Nature damage to nearby enemies over 8 seconds.
There were also a few other changes, primarily for quality of life and rotational consistency.
- Aimed Shot no longer interrupts Auto Attacks, and can be cast while moving.
- Dismiss Pet now ignores line of sight.
- Explosive Trap now places a periodic-damage effect on each target within the radius of the explosion, rather than a persistent effect on the ground.
- Growl now has a 30-yard range.
- Hunter Pets now have a 1-second global cooldown.