Latest Patch Notes
See the Ability Pruning section above for discussion of why we're pruning class abilities. For Rogues, a couple of abilities were changed to be specialization specific where they were redundant, did some thinning on cooldown.
Ability Consolidation and RefinementRogue
s received several mergers of passive abilities. There's also additional cooldown thinning with the change to Tricks of the Trade
- Assassin's Resolve now increases damage by 15% (down from 20%).
- Blindside's effects have been merged into baseline Mutilate.
- Burst of Speed now costs 30 Energy (up from 15 Energy).
- Crimson Tempest's periodic damage now has rolling periodic behavior, meaning that remaining damage from the previous application is added into the newly-applied periodic-damage effect.
- Cut to the Chase's effects have been merged into baseline Envenom.
- Deadly Throw no longer has a minimum range.
- Energetic Recovery's effects have been merged into baseline Slice and Dice for Subtlety Rogues.
- Envenom now increases poison chance by 30% (up from 15%).
- Find Weakness' effects have been merged into baseline Ambush, Garrote, and Cheap Shot for Subtlety Rogues.
- Garrote now ticks every 2 seconds (up from every 3 seconds). Damage has been adjusted to compensate.
- Killing Spree no longer increases all damage done for the duration. Its damage has been increased to compensate.
- Master of Subtlety's effects have been merged into baseline Stealth for Subtlety Rogues.
- Relentless Strikes' effects have been merged into Ruthlessness for Combat Rogues. It remains a separate passive for Assassination and Subtlety Rogues.
- Restless Blades' effects have been merged into Ruthlessness.
- Safe Fall's effects have been merged into baseline Fleet Footed.
- Tricks of the Trade now has no energy cost and no longer increases damage caused by the target by 15%.
- Venomous Wounds's effects have been merged into baseline Rupture for Assassination Rogues. It no longer triggers from Garrote and now always triggers when Rupture deals damage (up from a 75% chance).
The biggest change for Rogue
s is a fundamental change to how Combo Points work. They're now shared across all enemies; you can swap targets and you won't lose your Combo Points.
- Combo Points for Rogues are now shared across all targets and they are no longer lost when switching targets.
- Redirect has been removed.
Combat ChangesBandit's Guile
is an interesting mechanic that is important to Combat gameplay, but wasn't working out quite as well as we think that it could. In particular, there's basically no way to adjust when you're going to be in Deep Insight
, other than stopping your rotation (and thus wasting energy, combo points, temporary effects, cooldown time, etc.). So, we're making an adjustment to Revealing Strike
and Bandit's Guile
. The intention here is that you can use Revealing Strike
in place of Sinister Strike
when you want to delay Deep Insight
(such as to line it up with a specific upcoming fight mechanic), and have little lost damage besides the overall Deep Insight
uptime. We don't expect this nuanced rotation adjustment to be used by all Combat Rogues, but having a little more control over the pace of your rotation will be useful to some.
Also worth noting here is the removal of Ambidexterity. This was done to reduce the amount of damage coming from auto attacks for Combat Rogues. We've increased the damage of their active abilities to compensate and make them more rewarding.
Finally, we changed Main Gauche
to accentuate the importance of the off-hand weapon for Combat.
Area-of-Effect Attacks (Assassination, Combat)
Among some other changes to improve Rogue AoE damage, we made a couple of baseline changes, and added a few Draenor Perks that impacts their AoE.
- Blade Flurry can now trigger poisons, and now deals 30% damage (down from 40%).
- Seal Fate now also grants a combo point for area attacks that critically strike the Rogue's primary target.
Subtlety ChangesHonor Among Thieves
is an extremely powerful ability, but has the downside that it adds significant disparity between character power while soloing and while in a group. We made this change to bring up the soloing Subtlety Rogue, without having a significant impact on their performance while in a group. The passive ability Sinister Calling
also received significant change to better balance scaling rates, the value of secondary stats, improve Multistrike for them, and add rotational depth.
- Backstab can now be used on either side of the target, in addition to behind the target. (See also:Facing Requirements)
- Hemorrhage’s periodic damage is now based on attack power (instead of the initial strike's damage), and ticks every 2 seconds. Damage has been adjusted to compensate.
Honor Among Thieves can now also be triggered by critical hits from the Rogue's melee Auto Attacks.
- Sinister Calling now increases Agility by 15% (down from 30%), and the amount of Multistrike bonus received from all sources by 5% (in order to act as Subtlety's Secondary Stat Attunement). And finally, when the rogue Multistrikes with Backstab or Ambush, they also twist the blade, causing all Bleed effects to advance by 2 seconds, triggering an instant tick.
has proved too powerful, and frustrating to play against in PvP, so we decided to reduce its defensive capabilities, while preserving its offensive power. We changed the Subterfuge
period to allow the use of stealth abilities without actually stealthing you, similar to Shadow Dance
- Subterfuge now allows you to use abilities that require stealth for 3 seconds after leaving Stealth, instead of actually staying stealthed for 3 seconds.