s received some polish but remain relatively unchanged. They saw the most change of any class in Mists of Pandaria, and so were in need of less revision this time around.
See the Ability Pruning section above for discussion of why we're pruning class abilities. For Warlocks, that primarily focused on removing niche abilities.
- Curse of the Elements has been removed.
- Demonic Rebirth has been removed.
- Drain Life is no longer available to Destruction Warlocks.
- Harvest Life has been replaced with a new talent called Searing Flames for Destruction Warlocks.
- Searing Flames reduces Ember Tap's Burning Ember cost by 50%, and increases its healing by 50%.
- Metamorphosis: Void Ray has been removed.
- Seed of Corruption now replaces Rain of Fire for Affliction Warlocks.
- Twilight Ward has been removed.
Ability Consolidation and RefinementSoulburn
had several extremely niche spell amplifications which were removed. We distinguished Hand of Gul'dan
and Chaos Wave
further by removing the snare from the former and improving the snare of the latter. Beyond that, there was a simple consolidation of some abilities.Hand of Gul'dan
no longer snares the enemy.
- Chaos Wave now reduces enemy movement speed by 50%.
Decimation's effects have been merged into baseline Soul Fire
and Shadow Bolt
's effects have been merged into Blood Pact
.Grimoire of Supremacy
pets now generates 20% more Demonic Fury
has been removed. Its effects have been merged into Drain Soul
, which Affliction Warlock
s should use in its place.
Nightfall's effects have been merged into baseline Corruption for Affliction Warlocks and now has a 6% chance to trigger (down from 10%).Pyroclasm
's effects have been merged into baseline Backdraft
.Seed of Corruption
and Soulburn: Seed of Corruption can no longer both apply to the same target.
We felt that Warlock
s brought too much unique Raid utility, so decided to tone down Healthstone
s and Demonic Gateway
. We moved Healing Potion
s and Healthstone
s into a cooldown of their own, and made them usable once per combat.
- Demonic Gateways no longer have charges (up from being limited to 5 charges). Every Party or Raid member can use them once every 90 seconds (up from 45 seconds). The maximum distance apart they can be placed is now 40 yards (down from 70 yards).
- Healthstone's cooldown will now not reset until the player leaves combat. Healing from this ability is now a flat amount (instead of a % of maximum health) and can no longer be a Critical Effect.
For Affliction, we're happy with their rotation. But, Drain Soul was causing them to be too strong in situations where they had a steady supply of small creatures to kill. We reduced the effectiveness of its on-kill effect in order to solve this. Additionally, Soul Swap was changed to cost 1 Soul Shard
to push it into its intended role of being a more expensive but faster method of applying your periodic damage effects, and better balance it against Haunt
We were unsatisfied with Grimoire of Sacrifice for Demonology. Fundamentally, it did not fit Demonology's theme to sacrifice their pet, full time. We had toyed with ideas where it acted as a temporary cooldown for Demonology, but have decided to replace it with a new talent, which is more theme-appropriate, and fits well against the competition in that talent row. We also tweaked the design of Master Demonologist, in order to solve some edge cases, and simplify and clarify its effects.
We've reduced the ability for ranged damage dealers to deal damage while moving in Warlords. Kil'jaeden's Cunning
became a problematic talent because its mobility made Warlock
s much stronger compared to other casters. We redesigned how the ability works to be more powerful in bursts instead of always affecting only some spells.
Finally, there are a couple of miscellaneous changes. For Drain Life, we reduced the base healing somewhat, but massively increased the effectiveness of the Glyph which increases its healing, so as to help open up more potential Drain Life
use in ideal situations. And lastly, we simplified Shadowburn