Latest Patch Notes
See the Ability Pruning section above for discussion of why we're pruning class abilities. For Warriors, we focused on removing abilities that were redundant, and making some tweaks to their rotations.
Ability Consolidation and Refinement
s have always had stances; they're very important to the feeling of being a Warrior
. In order to make stances more meaningful, and ease keybinds, we made stances have their own action bars, and re-added stance restrictions on abilities. However, we also made it so that you'll automatically be shifted into the appropriate stance if you try to use an ability that isn't usable in your current stance. One important difference between this and previous incarnations of Warrior stances is that these abilities are rotational, not utility cooldowns. Stances are now more for different gameplay modes (dealing damage vs. tanking). There shouldn’t be cases where you find yourself swapping stances, use an ability, and then immediately swapping back.
- Warrior Stances now once again have their own action bars.
Attempting to use an ability that requires a different stance will now automatically switch to that stance.
now requires Battle Stance
now requires Battle Stance
. Sweeping Strikes
now requires Battle Stance
. Shield Barrier
is now available for all Warrior
specializations (was Protection only) and requires Defensive Stance
- For Arms and Fury Warriors, Shield Barrier can be used without a shield.
We wanted to fix a few problems with Warrior
s. Prominently, we still weren't happy with Arms' rotation (and neither were many players), so we've made some more changes. The goal is to remove needless complexity while simultaneously adding more depth. As mentioned in the above section on Ability Pruning, Overpower and Heroic Strike have been removed for Arms Warrior
In addition, we weren't satisfied with the Mastery for Arms. The intended flavor for Arms is about hitting with few, big, and heavy weapon strikes. Strikes of Opportunity actually went opposite of that, adding frequent little hits. We've replaced Strikes of Opportunity with a new Mastery which accentuates their intended design.
- Battle Stance for Arms Warriors now generates 115% more Rage from auto-attacks and Critical Strikes now generate double Rage.
- Defensive Stance for Arms Warriors now generates 50% as much Rage from auto-attacks as in Battle Stance.
- Arms Warriors now generate Rage from taking auto-attack damage. Each 1% of health taken as damage will generate 1 Rage, up to 5 Rage per hit.
- Mastery: Strikes of Opportunity has been removed, and replaced with a new ability, Mastery: Weapons Master.
Mastery: Weapons Master increases the damage of Colossus Smash, Mortal Strike, and Execute abilities by 28% (increasing with Mastery).
now costs 20 Rage, deals 225% increased damage, and no longer increases the damage of Slam
is no longer available to Arms Warrior
for Arms Warrior
s now costs 10 Rage, and consumes up to 30 additional Rage to deal additional damage.Mortal Strike
now costs 20 Rage (instead of generating 10 Rage).Overpower
has been removed. Arms Warrior
s should now use Rend
is a new ability for Arms Warrior
- Rend causes bleed damage over 18 seconds, and a final burst of bleed damage when the effect expires. Costs 5 Rage
has been removed. Arms Warrior
s should now use Rend
now costs 10 Rage (down from 30 Rage).Sudden Death
has been removed.
Unbridled Wrath has been removed.
Whirlwind now costs 20 Rage for Arms Warriors.
Burst Damage Cooldowns
As with other classes, we wanted to reduce cooldown stacking. Cutting Skull Banner did a ton to help that across the whole game. But for Warriors specifically, we needed to make further changes, including merging some of the personal benefit of Skull Banner back into Recklessness
. Also, to make up for Throw
being removed, we modified Heroic Throw
to be more frequently usable.
- Heroic Throw is now a high-threat ability, generating 300% extra threat, has a 6-second cooldown (down from 30 seconds), but now has a 15 yard minimum range.
- Recklessness now increases Critical Strike chance by 15% (down from 30%) and increases Critical Strike damage by 10% (up from 0%).
- Shattering Throw no longer reduces the armor of the target; it only does damage and breaks immunities.
It also is no longer learned via any specialization, but instead through a new Major Glyph, Glyph of Shattering Throw.
Haste has long been a problematic stat for Warriors, usually being of little value. As part of our commitment to ensuring all secondary stats are valuable (except Bonus Armor for non-tanks and Spirit for non-healers, of course), we're making a significant change to Warriors, to ensure that Haste has strong, competitive value. We're giving all Warrior
s a new passive, which lets haste affect their global cooldown, and the cooldowns of their very-short-cooldown rotational abilities.
Protection Warriors have received a few notable changes. First, we removed Dodge and Parry from gear, and expect Protection Warriors to value Haste and Critical Strike as important secondary stats. In order to achieve that, we made Riposte
give defensive value to Critical Strike. The aforementioned Headlong Rush
also helps for valuing Haste.
- Mastery: Critical Block now increases critical block chance by 12% (down from 17.6%).
- Blood Craze is a new passive ability for Protection Warriors.
Blood Craze causes Multistrike auto attacks to trigger a Blood Craze, which regenerates 3% of the Warrior's health over 3 seconds. When this effect is refreshed, the remaining duration is added to the new effect.
has been redesigned.
- Riposte now gives the Warrior Parry equal to their Critical Strike bonus from gear.
now regenerates a new charge every 12 seconds (up from every 9 seconds).Unwavering Sentinel
no longer increases Armor, but now also reduces the chance for attacks to be parried by 3%. (See also: Hit and Expertise Removal.)
A few Warrior
talents also were in need of revision. First, Second Wind was problematic; it was sometimes too weak, and sometimes too strong. We chose to change it from a passive health regeneration effect to the new Leech
effect, so that low-health Warrior
s have to maintain combat in order to benefit, instead of kiting, hiding, or otherwise playing defensively. Enraged Regeneration
was changed to account for the removal of Enrage
The level-45 talent row was removed for crowd-control disarmament reasons, and also wanted to allow you to choose more rotational complexity through talents. We replaced the row with new talents, many of which are specialization-specific, giving you a variety of playstyle choices for your Warrior
For the level-60 and level-90 Talent rows, certain combinations were proving problematic. We decided that Stormbolt
would better compete with Shockwave
and Dragon Roar
, and that Bladestorm
would better compete with Avatar
, so swapped Stormbolt
's positions. We also adjusted the effects of a few talents in order to make them more competitive with the talents on their row.Enraged Regeneration
now heals for 100% more but the amount healed is no longer increased by being Enraged
's damage is no longer reduced when hitting more than 1 target.Mass Spell Reflection
's cooldown has been reduced to 30 seconds, but it now replaces Spell Reflection
no longer directly heals the Warrior
while active. Instead, Second Wind grants the Warrior
while active, which causes the Warrior
to heal for 10% of all damage and healing done by the Warrior
is now a level-60 Talent, swapping places with Bladestorm
has been removed and replaced with 3 new talents that vary by specialization.Piercing Howl
has been removed and replaced with a new talent, Sudden Death
- Sudden Death causes auto-attack hits to have a 10% chance to make the next Execute free and useable on any target, regardless of health level. These Executes do not consume additional Rage to deal additional damage.
- Piercing Howl is now available to all Fury Warriors as a baseline ability.
has been removed and replaced with 3 new talents that vary by specialization.
- Arms: Slam: Slam an opponent, causing 100% weapon damage. Each consecutive use of Slam increases the damage dealt by 50% and Rage cost by 100%. Requires Battle Stance.
- Fury: Unquenchable Thirst: Bloodthirst no longer has a cooldown.
- Protection: Unyielding Strikes: Devastate reduces the cost of Heroic Strike by 5 Rage for 5 seconds, stacking up to 6 times. Once this effect reaches 6 applications, its duration will no longer refresh.
To better separate the playstyles between Fury and Arms Warriors, we’ve made several significant changes to Fury Warriors and make them a better fit for the specialization's theme: a relentless, bloodthirsty berserker. In particular, Colossus Smash and Heroic Strike was removed, since those abilities resulted in gameplay that was the complete opposite of that intended style. Wild Strike
was modified to fill the role of a quick excess Rage dump. We also felt that auto attack damage had become too high and moved some of that damage into Execute
has been changed to now deal damage based on Weapon Damage instead of just Attack Power. Finally, we've updated some to spell alerts to improve usability.
- Bloodsurge's effects have been merged into baseline Bloodthirst and no longer reduce Wild Strike's global cooldown. Its spell alert has moved to the top slot instead of the left and right slots and now has 2 charges (down from 3 charges).
- Bloodthirst now replaces Heroic Strike for Fury Warriors.
Wild Strike now has a 0.75 second baseline global cooldown and costs 45 Rage.
now has 30% additional Critical Strike chance (instead of double the normal Critical Strike chance).Crazed Berserker
no longer increases auto attack damage. Instead, it also causes Execute
to hit with the off-hand weapon.Raging Blow
now extends the duration of Colossus Smash
by 2 seconds, and has a spell alert on the left and right slots.
Glyph of Colossus Smash is a new glyph available to Fury Warriors. The glyph increases the duration of Colossus Smash
's effect to 20 seconds, but reduces its effectiveness.
We also expanded Enrage
to affect all damage, not just Physical damage, and increased its duration slightly so that it can cover burst windows like Colossus Smash
adequately. We're also making a change to the design of Deep Wounds
, to try to limit is effectiveness in PvP, without hurting its effectiveness in PvE.
- Mastery: Unshackled Fury (Fury) now increases all damage (up from only Physical damage).
- Deep Wounds now lasts 15 seconds, or until the target is healed to full health.
- Enrage now increases all damage (up from only Physical damage).