Find Illidan in game:
- In the Black Temple Original Raid Attunement, you can learn how Akama and Maiev worked together to thwart Illidan and gain access to the Black Temple. This questline led to defeating all bosses in the Black Temple, rewarding Blessed Medallion of Karabor upon defeating Illidan.
- Before Legion, Illidan was best known for his appearance in Black Temple:
The Black Temple is the fortress-citadel of Illidan Stormrage, Lord of Outland. It contains tier 6 set pieces as well as many notable items, including The Twin Blades of Azzinoth. It's also known for providing reputation for Ashtongue Deathsworn, easily earned through clearing the raid a few times.
- Mother Shahraz, The Illidari Council, and Illidan Stormrage drop the Shoulders, Legs, and Chest for the Tier 6 set.
- Black Temple is also home to the famous legendaries The Twin Blades of Azzinoth. Obtaining Warglaive of Azzinoth/Warglaive of Azzinoth awards the achievement Warglaives of Azzinoth. Subsequently running Black Temple in Timewalking Mode while having this achievement will award I'll Hold These For You Until You Get Out, allowing Demon Hunters on your account to transmog their weapons to the original Warglaives.
- In Legion, Black Temple made a return as the first Timewalking Raid.
- Illidan, as the final boss, has many iconic drops besides the Warglaives, including Stormrage Signet Ring, Zhar'doom, Greatstaff of the Devourer, Bulwark of Azzinoth, Cursed Vision of Sargeras, and The Skull of Gul'dan.
Several quests spotlight Illidan's battle with Arthas - A Destiny of Flame and Sorrow
in Felwood and The Hunter and the Prince
Several quests in Legion attempt to paint Illidan in a more-sympathetic light, as the last time we met up with him, Illidan was the enemy. In this questline, you'll learn about Illidan's conflicts with the other Night Elves, his rejection by Cenarius, siphoning life from the Moon Guard mages to gain power during War of the Ancients, Illidan's sacrifice to gain knowledge of the Legion, and his defeat at Black Temple. The quests in this series are Awakenings
, An Unclear Path
, Ravencrest's Legacy
, In My Father's House
, Destiny Unfulfilled
. You can also watch the short cinematic
upon Illidan's defeat.
In early Legion, you must complete Trial of Valor: The Once and Future Lord of Shadows
to find Illidan's soul in Trial of Valor. In the previous quest Soul Prism of the Illidari
, heavily nerfed over several patches, you must collect soul fragments to create the Soul Prism needed to house Illidan.
In the Gul'dan encounter Archmage Khadgar release Illidan’s soul into his body. On Mythic difficulty it's not so straightforward as players must first cleanse the dark presence lurking in Illidan's body. You can find all the Mythic-only abilities in our coverage of Exorsus' World First Kill
. Illidan then crushes Gul'dan, mirroring Gul'dan's defeat of Varian, and smashes the Skull. You can watch that in the Nighthold Cinematic
In the Tomb of Sargeras
raid, Illidan accompanies us through the instance along with Velen, Khadgar, and Maiev. Upon Kil'jaeden's defeat, Illidan uses the Sargerite Keystone
to open a rift between Azeroth and Argus, making the planet visible in the sky. You can watch the cinematic here
and you can read more about the story of that raid in our past lore collaboration
While Xe'ra believes that Illidan is the Child of Light and Shadow, he puts an end to the prophecy and her attempts to purify him by shattering Xe'ra. You can complete the The Child of Light and Shadow
storyline to experience this event or watch the cinematic here
. However speculation lives on
that Arator could be the child of Light and Shadow.
Illidan helps us fight through Antorus, the Burning Throne
, and ultimately decides to stay as the jailer of Sargeras. This is interpreted by many characters as a sacrifice, but Illidan looks quite pleased at the thought of tormenting Sargeras for eternity. You can watch the cinematic and read our analysis in this post
Upon defeating Argus, players can tie up loose ends between Illidan, Tyrande, and Malfurion through the Alor'idal Crystal
which starts Moments of Reflection
to deliver some messages.Find Maiev in game: