Post by Dunsinane
Here are links and numbers for you:
Essentially, against an equal level mob, you start with a 96% chance to hit with your spells. As the mob gets to be a higher level than you, this chance drops. +1 and +2 the changes are very minor. There is a huge jump at +3, where you have a full 17% chance of a complete miss with your spell.
Spell hit allows you to overcome that gap. Each 12.6 spell hit = 1% better chance to hit the mob (capped at 99% chance to hit). As the highest level mobs in raids are the level 73 elite bosses, if you collect 202 spell hit, you've reached the cap.
Spell haste increases the rate at which you cast a spell. It does not affect cooldowns or the GCD at all. The formula is:
New casting time = Base casting time/(1 + (Spell Haste Rating/1570))
So if you had a spell haste rating of 100 and Bane, your shadow bolts would take ~2.35 seconds to cast. Needless to say, it takes a LOT of spell haste to make a noticable difference.
You can survive the early stages of Kara without any significant hit rating, but you should be looking to assemble some. Some easy possibilities:
- Spellstrike Hood and Pants
- Veiled Noble Topaz/Flame Spessarite for gemming
- Great Dawnstone/Golden Draenite
- Spellstrike glove enchant
- Ashleyn's Gift (Cenarion Rep ring - exalted)
- (Forgetting the name, but there's another ring that costs 50 spirit shards in the Terokkar towns)
- Scryer's Bloodgem (Scryer trinket - revered)
- Some badge rewards, like the excellent Voodoo-weave Belt, provide spell hit
- Suppression provides affliction locks with a cheap spell hit crutch for their dots
As for things you can improve - your spell damage is atrocious. Spell crit is the least important of the three big stats when you're beginning to raid, and your build doesn't do you any favors. When you don't have the base numbers, percentage multipliers aren't very good.http://www.wowhead.com/?forums&topic=13941&p=122871
There's the thread for your current spec. Notice how far you are below the minimum numbers? Go affliction. You'll be of far more use to your raid with reliable dots than erratic burst that sucks mana from the healers to keep you going.