Latest Patch Notes
See the Ability Pruning section above for discussion of why we're pruning class abilities. For Shamans, we removed some niche abilities, and also split out a few abilities by specialization.Unleash Elements
and Unleashed Fury
has been split into different versions based on specialization. Unleashed Fury
now modifies Unleash Elements
for Enhancement, modifies Unleash Life
for Restoration, and modifies Unleash Flame
for Elemental.Water Shield
is now available only to Restoration Shaman, and replaces Lightning Shield
Ability Consolidation and RefinementShaman
had a number of extra abilities that were consolidated to provide a smoother rotation flow. Mana regeneration and mana costs for Elemental and Enhancement were made compensate for abilities removed via Ability Pruning. The removal of Weapon Imbues was significant. There was always one right answer for each specialization, and so we made the appropriate Weapon Imbue passive to each spec, or tuned abilities around its removal.
Finally, there's the removal of Rolling Thunder
. In concept, this is a simple merger of Rolling Thunder
, but also with some consolidation of its effects; the mana recovery component was removed along with other mana changes, and the random chance was removed while maximum stack size was increased to compensate. The randomness in Rolling Thunder
became redundant, because there already was a source of randomness in Elemental Overload
now that Multistrikes trigger it.Elemental Mastery
now has a 2-minute cooldown (up from 1.5 minute).
Elemental Oath and Unleashed Rage have been removed.
- Grace of Air now also provides 5% Haste to all party and raid members.
and Windfury Weapon
have been removed.
- Enhanced Weapons is a new passive ability available to Enhancement Shaman, causing main-hand weapon attacks to have a chance to trigger 3 extra attacks, and off-hand weapon attacks to deal additional fire damage.
- Lava Lash's damage done is no longer increased by Flametongue Weapon, and its damage has been increased to compensate.
's duration has been increased to 30 seconds.Frost Shock
no longer generates additional threat.
Greater Healing Wave has been renamed to Healing Wave
.Healing Tide Totem
now heals all party or raid members, but amount healed per target has been reduced to compensate.Lava Lash
now spreads Flame Shock to up to 6 nearby enemies (up from 4 enemies).
Rolling Thunder has been removed.Shamanistic Rage
no longer reduces Mana costs while active.Thunderstorm
no longer regenerates Mana.
Totems will no longer cause hostile creatures to enter combat with the Shaman
based on proximity.Unleash Elements
has been split into different versions based on specialization.
- Unleash Elements is now available only to Enhancement Shaman, and now increases attack speed by 60% (up from 50%), and increases the damage of the Shaman's next Fire spell by 40% (up from 30%), but no longer deals direct damage or requires an enemy target.
- Unleash Flame has been made into a separate ability available only to Elemental Shaman, and now increases the damage of the Shaman's next Fire spell by 40% (up from 30%), but no longer deals direct damage or requires an enemy target.
- Unleash Life has been made into a separate ability available only to Restoration Shaman, and now heals an ally and increases the effect of the Shaman's next direct heal by 30%.
- Unleashed Fury now provides similar benefits, but applied as buffs to the Shaman, instead of debuffs to an enemy. For Enhancement Shamans, it now grants 5% increase Multistrike chance instead of causing your auto attacks to trigger Static Shock.
now only triggers from melee attacks.
- Mana costs for Restoration Shaman have been adjusted to compensate.
no longer requires Water Shield
to be active.
Elemental and Enhancement Changes
For Elemental and Enhancement, we had a few problems to solve. Enhancement suffers from having their damage split among so many damage sources that none of it feels impressive. We changed the damage of several abilities to try to reorganize their damage into fewer, more impactful abilities, while keeping the net total the same. For a long time Elemental Shaman
was one of the specializations most impacted by movement, at a time where other casters were increasingly able to cast while moving.
In Warlords of Draenor, we're pulling back on the ability for many casters to deal damage while moving, and that includes Elemental. They will still have some ability to deal damage while moving, through Shocks, Unleash Weapon, and instant Lava Burst
s. For Chain Lightning, we wanted to reduce the impact of Haste soft capping, and so changed Shamanism
to increase damage instead of reduce cast time. Additionally, we simplified Wind Shear
by removing its impact on threat, which no longer matters.
- for the Enhancement specialization now changes the Shaman's auto attacks and Stormstrike to deal Wind-based physical damage that bypasses armor.
- Earth Elemental deals 90% less Auto Attack damage but generates 1000% more threat.
- Elemental Precision has been removed. (See also: Hit and Expertise Removal.)
- Feral Spirits' damage has been increased by 300%.
- Fire Nova now has a cooldown of 4.5 second (up from 4.0 seconds).
- Flurry has been redesigned. Melee haste effects now reduce the global cooldown and cooldowns of Earth Shock, Fire Nova, Flame Shock, Frost Shock, Lava Lash, Static Shock, Stormstrike, and Unleash Elements.
- Lava Lash now has a cooldown of 10.5 seconds (up from 10 seconds).
- Lightning Bolt is no longer castable while moving by default. Effects like Spiritwalker's Grace can still make the spell castable while moving.
- Magma Totem's damage has been increased by 100%, and now ticks faster with Haste.
- Maelstrom Weapon's chance to trigger has been reduced by 20%.
- Primal Earth Elemental's Pulverize ability no longer deals damage.
- Searing Totem's Searing Bolt now has a 2-second cast time (up from 1.5 seconds), but casts faster with Haste, and its damage has been increased by 120%.
- Shamanism no longer reduces the cast time of Chain Lightning, but instead now increases the damage of Chain Lightning by 100% (up from 70%).
- Spiritual Insight no longer increases the chance to hit with Lightning Bolt, Lava Burst, Hex, or Flame Shock. (See also: Hit and Expertise Removal.)
- Stormstrike now has a cooldown of 7.5 seconds (down from 8 seconds).
- Wind Shear no longer affects threat.
- Windfury Weapon no longer has a 3-second internal cooldown.
One of the new secondary stats Multistrike, functions very similarly to Elemental Overload
. We wanted to keep Mastery and Multistrike feeling distinct, but also know how iconic and important Elemental Overload
is for Elemental Shaman
. So, we decided to merge the two together with Multistrike driving Elemental Overload
, and give the Elemental specialization a new Mastery. For the new Mastery, we wanted to strengthen the Elemental Shaman
's connection to earth energies, and added damage that continues while the Shaman
is moving. The summary of all this is that if you liked Mastery before, favor Multistrike instead for the same effect. Or try out the new Mastery: Molten Earth
. Chain Lightning
were also improved significantly to offset the fact that Elemental Overload
was a massive buff to it, but Mastery: Molten Earth
- Elemental Overload is now a regular passive ability and is no longer increased by Mastery. It grants 35% increased Multistrike damage and healing, and an additional 20% to Multistrike chance. It also increases the amount of the Multistrike stat gains from all sources by 5%, serving as Elemental's Secondary Stat attunement.
- Molten Earth is a new Mastery for Elemental Shaman.
Molten Earth causes the Shaman's damaging spells to incite the earth around to come to their aid for 6 seconds, repeatedly dealing Fire damage to their most recently attacked target.
's damage has been increased by 50%.Earthquake
's damage has been increased by 33%.
Restoration Shaman had the most passive and smart healing of any healer, and so received some reductions in that area, along with buffs elsewhere to keep them competitive.
- Chain Heal now heals each chain target for 10% less than the previous target.
- Conductivity is no longer triggered by damaging spells for Restoration Shaman, or by healing spells for non-Restoration Shaman.
- Elemental Blast now also grants increased Spirit for Restoration Shaman, in addition to the random secondary stat. Spirit amount granted is equal to double the random secondary stat amount.
- Multiple Earth Shields can now be applied to the same target.
- Earthliving Weapon now increases healing done by 5% (instead of increasing healing Spell Power by a flat amount).
- Healing Stream Totem's mana cost has been reduced to 10% of base mana (down from 23.5%), and its healing has been reduced by 50%.
- Riptide's healing has been adjusted to put significantly more of it into the initial heal. The initial heal amount has been increased by 70%, while the periodic healing amount has been reduced by 20%.
- Tidal Waves now reduces the cast time of Healing Wave by 20% (down from 30%).
- Unleash Life no longer increases the healing from Healing Rain but its direct healing has been increased by 100%.
- Glyph of Chaining no longer causes Chain Heal to have a 2-second cooldown.
- Charred Glyph now only increases the mana returned from recalling your totems by 25% (down from 75%).
We also made a couple quality of life improvements to Shaman Shield spells.