Post by voixxy
I feel REALLY dumb, because I'm probably doing something very wrong.
My DPS is averaging around 18k. I'm not really sure why. I've had it higher before - when I was wearing my full Contender's set, I was averaging around 25k - 30k with spikes, but when I started getting heroic gear and equipping it, even after reforging and with both hit and expertise capped out, for some reason i'm down to about 18k. You can check out my profile to see what i've got equipped/enchanted at http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/emerald-dream/Saenelya/advanced
I always keep my blades poisoned, usually with Wound Poison (and with Leech Poison), and I keep myself buffed with my Alchemist's Flask.
It must be something with my rotation. I don't play with any mods, so maybe a good combat/battle mod would help? When stealthed, I always open with Ambush, and I keep Revealing Strike up and keep up Sinister Strike, Slice & Dice, Rupture, and Eviscerate. I use Shadow Blades and Killing Spree on cooldown, and use Kidney Shot, Expose Armor, and Disarm whenever I can.
I checked out Noxxic.com and followed the advice on there, including glyphs and whatnot. I just feel like a level 90 combat rogue ought to DPSing significantly better than this.
Post by stuffeh
Are you talking about for pve? If pve, are you gearing to do heroics and/or raids? Are you testing your dps on the dps target dummies? 18k on dummies isn't great, but isn't horrible for your current gear/enchants etc... Your dps on the dummies will be significantly lower compared to in a raid and dungeon group. Dungeon group gives 5-30% buff, and you gain dps from raid buffs.
- Should be using deadly poisons instead of wound poisons. WP is for PVP mostly.
- Noxxic is horrible, go with icy veins ( http://www.icy-veins.com/combat-rogue-wow-pve-dps-guide ) and EJ ( http://elitistjerks.com/f78/ ). More to read, but you learn more.
- You need a helm with a meta slot, that'll buff your dps.
- I wouldn't worry with the Expose Armor debuff. Read http://www.wowhead.com/forums&topic=209039&p=3314367 about it. To be honest, I haven't used this in any raids because warriors/druids are good at applying it.
- Pooling energy BEFORE using RvS (Revealing Strike) is the key. If your rupture/SnD has a long duration left and your RvS is about to fall off. Burn off as much energy as possible with your normal rotation as possible. Then wait until your energy *almost* reaches cap and re-apply RvS and continue with your rotation. DO NOT let yourself be energy cap, that is a waste of energy and a loss of dps.
- You are a little over hit cap, and a little under exp cap, also reforge belt from hit to haste instead of hit to mastery.
- Belt gem needs to be a red agi gem, chest gem needs to be a purple agi+hit gem. When you get around 490ish ilvl, haste gives you more dps compared to agi. So far blue slots you will want green haste/hit, red = agil/haste, yellow = pure haste, prismatic = pure haste. This is subject to change if bliz changes things around.
- Your main hand sword needs to be either windsong or dancing steel enchant.
- Get the engineer dragon trinket instead of the str on use Daelo's Final Words trinket. Put hit/exp/haste into the dragon trinket.
- Should be using KS (killing spree) on cd, followed by AR and SB. AR and SB share the same cooldowns so they should ALWAYS be used at the same time. Make a macro that activates them both at the same time.
- Don't use Kidney Shot. I only use that when I NEED to interrupt something and my kick is on cd. Most adds/bosses in raids that need to be interrupted cannot be stunned.
- Most bosses cannot be disarmed.
- Read up here http://www.wowhead.com/forums&topic=207183&p=3301271 about how bandit's guile has been changed for combat due to the anticipation talent.
Post by Edymnion
You also have your weapons backwards.
The slow weapon goes in your main hand to maximize your sinister strike, the fast weapon goes in the offhand (although these days a slow weapon works fine too).
Here's a link to mine for comparison:http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/winterhoof/R%C3%B3gue/simple
Your rotation priority should be:
Keep up Slice 'n Dice. If its about to fall off, refresh it with however many CP you have.
Revealing Strike. It lets you generate extra CP and increases your finisher damage, keep it up at all times.
Spam Sinister Strike to 5 CP.
If its a boss or other target that will live for a while, Rupture. Otherwise, Eviscerate.
Spam SS to 5 CP again.
Keep SnD, RS, and for long fights a 5 point Rupture up at all times.
Always hit Adrenaline Rush and Shadow Blades together.
Never use Killing Spree while AR is active.
Get Power Auras or Weak Auras and set up overlays to track your CPs, your three timers (SnD, Rupt, and RS) along with the availability of Killing Spree, Adrenaline Rush, and Shadowblades.
When in doubt about gems and reforging, use Shadowcraft:http://shadowcraft.mmo-mumble.com/
Use macros. If you have DPS boosting abilities that you want to use on cooldown that are not on the GCD (like racials and trinkets), macro those to your sinister strike.
My orc uses something along these lines:
#showtooltip Sinister Strike
/use Blood Fury(racial)
/use Sinister Strike
That activates the synapse springs on her gloves, it activates both of her trinket slots, it activates her orc racial dps boost, and then it uses SS. None of those are on the global cooldown, and since I'm spamming SS all the time anyway it ensures they have 100% uptime (or as close to it as internal cooldowns allow). List of item slot numbers can be found here:http://www.wowwiki.com/InventorySlotId