in your browser.
Crit cap How does this work
Return to board index
As the subject says How do you work out the crit cap.
I have 40% crit unbuffed and a deathbringers will,
So with buffs and a trinket proc of crit i get to 65% crit
My question is how do i figure out my crit cap so i can reach it but no go over it with a proc
Just so you know my other stats
hit = 168
I could reach the 100% arp cap by changing two gems but trying to keep AP over 5500 so taking the 3% armour pen until it comes on gear ,
Getting T10 shoulders today so that will bring up my crit, str and arp .
Not sure how to link armoury , so Heartaxe azjol nerub , if anyone wants to see the toon . for critisms
Fury Warriors have no realistically obtainable crit cap.
Also, with the standard Arms subspec it would be a flat hard cap as apposed to having a crit soft cap and another crit hard cap as all Fury abilities have the same crit chance.
Crit hard cap for everyone is 103% (bosses have an innate 3% crit reduction)
If certain abilities have a higher crit chance than the rest of your standard arsenal, like Overpower for Arms, then there can also be one or more crit soft caps with crit becoming less and less valuable as you pass each and as the chance that uncapped abilities won't crit grows smaller.
Using Overpower as an example, an Arms Warrior would have 2/2 Improved Overpower giving Overpower 50% more crit than all other arms abilities placing their crit soft cap at 103 - 50 = 53%
At 53% crit Overpower would always be a critical hit and additional crit chance will add no benefit to it.
For the sake of explaining lets say the arms warrior also had 3/3 Incite for 15% Heroic Strike, Cleave, and Thunder Clap crit. They'd then have two crit soft caps, the Overpower soft cap of 53% and another for Heroic Strike, Cleave, and Thunder Clap at 88%, hard cap still being 103% for all other abilities.
The only +crit Fury Warriors have affects all abilities equally and shows up in your character sheet so for all intended purposes the crit cap remains 103% and is a hard cap but it's realistically out of reach.
Even with 103% crit chance, you will not crit every time (white hits, specials will always crit). Glancing blows (70% normal dmg) account for roughly 24% of melee hits and they cannot crit. So most melee classes will call the crit cap around 75% crit, accounting for glancing blows.
For fury warriors...yeah you'd be really pushing it to approach those kind of numbers worth of crit. Just get ArP capped and worry more about your AP after that.
cool thanks for the answers , so crit cap is not a problem as a warriro can never reach it . prefect
As for Arp cap , i',m 3% off now and later when get new t10 shoulders i will be be a gem away i could can change one of my two str gems but this will leave me at 99.xx% i think , is the extra ap not a little better when so close to the cap ,
I do massive damage when i get the str proc from my DBW but then that islike 600 extra str , 14k crits so really i just need my shadows edge and then i can really regem alot of str , doing 7-8 k single target dps , but think i loss some by only having a laptop and running like 320 ms all the time . also no mouse so rotation can be a little slow sometimes . any good ideas on a top class mouse to buy and do you thing that by using a mouse i could up my dps a little more
fogot to say that i have to eat the expertise food to hit cap
The only +crit Fury Warriors have affects all abilities equally and shows up in your character sheet so for all intended purposes the crit cap remains 103% and is a hard cap but it's realistically out of reach
melee attacks are done on a single roll system. assuming no blocks, the priority is:
notice that glancing blow > crit, which is where the "crit cap" comes into play. notice also that hit/dodge/parry are at the top, meaning that not being hit or expertise capped will actually lower your crit cap.
assuming you are at 26 expertise and attacking from the rear, you only have miss, glancing blows, crits, and hits left. glancing is fixed at 24% for white attacks, and cannot be reduced.
at 8% hit and arms, your crit becomes "wasted" on your white swings at 76% raid buffed. probably not something you need to worry about much as arms.
as fury, you have a much higher miss chance from dual wielding. a well-geared fury warrior should be close to 8% hit, so there is still a 19% chance to miss and 24% chance for a glancing blow. that means that after 57% crit raid buffed, your crit rating is "wasted" on your white swings.
fury warriors can negate some of that by converting a high percentage of white swings to HS, but to get a feel for it, look at some of your combat logs and see how much of your damage is listed as melee. that much of the your damage gains no benefit from crit past 57%.
so, the "crit cap" is more of a soft cap, at which the value of crit diminishes relative to other stats.
I think that, while it is important to know the crit cap as to better itemize, it is not important to actually obtain the crit cap. If you crit 1/2 of the time, that is still a lot of crit.
40% is 2/5 swings, which isn't bad in any way. Not to mention, a druid, ret paladin, and buffs to agi will also increase your crit, so you are looking at something more like ~50%.
the "crit cap" is not a cap to strive for like hit or expertise; it's just a point at which the value of more crit diminishes.
A small note to add to the above by marklartank, 57% crit raid buffed is the equivalent of about 45/46% crit unbuffed. This is taking into account-
3% extra crit on the boss
5% extra crit from rampage
3% crit from horn of winter and BoK (+10% agility)
Until you get BiS gear, this will be nothing to worry about. In addition, for every 1% additional hit you have above the 5% soft cap, you can add 1% to your unbuffed crit chance until the hard cap of 24% hit, and 76% crit.
You are not logged in. Please
to post a reply or
if you don't already have an account.
Connect with Wowhead:
Featured Game Sites
Final Fantasy XI
Join the world's largest
MMO gaming network.
Sign up now!
Connect With ZAM
© 2016 ZAM Network LLC