in your browser.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Fire Mage Talents
This section of the Fire Mage guide provides an overview of all talents, information on which talents work well in different situations, and popular builds in Wowhead's talent calculator. Updated for the latest patch. This guide is written and maintained by Malon, who raids with <Omen> on Emerald Dream EU; his lifelong ambition is to have the Warlock class renamed to 'Fuzzy Cuddlebears'. Find him on
Rotation & Abilities
Macros & Addons
Tips & Tricks
Sample Leveling Talent Build:
Sample Raiding Talent Build:
Tier 1 Talents
- Grants an 8% chance to reactivate
when it is consumed.
- Targets with
have a chance to flare up and deal fire damage to nearby enemies
- Your Fireball and Pyroblast will always critically strike targets above 90% health
have very, very close theoretical maximums. Therefore, I prefer the easier-to-use
, unless the encounter is very high-movement (making it difficult to cast Fireball).
has its place while levelling or in dungeons, and on specific raid encounters.
Tier 2 Talents
- Gives Blink two charges, takes it off the global cooldown and makes its usable while casting.
- Causes an explosion around you, damaging and slowing nearby enemies.
- Dealing Fire damage to nearby targets refills your .
is a fantastic upgrade to
; the importance of extra maneuverability cannot be overstated. It is the preferred talent on this tier. was moved to this row in patch 7.1.5 and is no longer targetable; instead it is a point-blank effect. This has made the ability much less useful for raiding. is also focused on melee range, where Mages should ideally never be. It may have use in small group content.
Tier 3 Talents
- Creates copies of you which will attack your enemies for 40 seconds. Enemies will prefer to attack them instead of you.
Rune of Power
- Places a Rune on the ground for 10 seconds. All damage you deal while standing inside is increased by 40%. Two charges.
- Steadily increases the damage you deal while in combat, up to 20%, and then decreases to 4%. This cycle repeats every 10 seconds.
is useful in single-target fights with burst requirements, like
. In Legion, the critical strike that you gain from also affects your Mirror Images; this makes it a very strong burst spell. You must cast Combustion first for your Images to benefit!
is a passive option that will provide solid returns, although it is stronger for Arcane and Frost, which can ‘bank' procs.
Rune of Power
was previously the only choice on this tier. However, the Nighthold raid contains many movement-heavy encounters and damage has been moved out of
, making both
Tier 4 Talents
always critically strikes, and contributes to
- Reduces the cooldown of
by 2 seconds and increases the maximum number of charges by 1.
- Provides a 20% chance to instantly convert
provides more control over your damage than any other talent in this tier, and enables very high opening burst.
's proc chance was doubled in patch 7.1.5, but
is still superior. Additionally, the extra procs will often cause you to ‘munch' a
, as there are now multiple guaranteed critical strike abilities in
is a very strong AoE option, and can be used on a single target if you have
Darckli's Dragonfire Diadem
Tier 5 Talents
- Casting Scorch increases your movement speed by 30% for three seconds.
Ring of Frost
- An area-of-effect incapacitate, for 10 seconds, placed with a targeting reticule.
is the best option on this tier for raiding Mages.
Ring of Frost
can be useful while in the open world, as can
(also a reasonable choice in PvP).
Tier 6 Talents
- A damage-over-time effect, lasting for four seconds. When it expires or the target dies, the
will explode and spread to any nearby targets. These will also explode, but the second bomb] will not spread.
- Grants your
a 25% chance to explode and deal additional damage to the target and all nearby enemies.
s leaves a damaging area on the ground when cast.
scales exponentially: the more targets hit, the more powerful it becomes. It overtakes
, if all enemies stay in the same place after Flamestrike is cast, at around 15 targets. Flame Patch was buffed in 7.1.5, and is extremely useful for Mythic+ dungeons, where most pulls will be between three and five mobs.
is the best choice for one- and two-target encounters, but the difference compared to taking the other talents is negligible on any encounter with more than one target.
Tier 7 Talents
critical strikes lower the cooldown of
by one second.
- Throws six projectiles forward in an arc, from right to left. Each cinder deals damage to all targets it hits. Damage is increased if targets are affected by
- Deals high damage in an area after three seconds; this damage is split between all targets hit.
is the best single-target ability and
for area-of-effect encounters.
received an indirect nerf in patch 7.1.5 as Fire's damage was moved away from Combustion and the critical strike rate of Fireball and Pyroblast was slightly lowered.
Share your comments about this guide in our Mage forum!
Frost Mage Talents
Arcane Mage Talents
More Class Guides
Beast Mastery Hunter Artifact Challenge Guide
Holy Paladin Artifact Challenge
Retribution Artifact Challenge: The God-Queen's Fury
Warlords of Draenor Druid Changes
Elementals in Draenor: An In-Depth Guide to Elemental Shaman
Wrath Timewalking Guide
Mage Tower Building
Command Center Building
Nether Disruptor Building
Unholy Death Knight Artifact Challenge Guide
Warlords of Draenor Follower Guide
Heirloom Collections Guide
Warlords of Draenor Legendary Ring Guide
Hidden Artifact Weapon Appearances and Effects
Draenor Pathfinder: How To Unlock Flying in Draenor
More Guides by Wowhead
Cathedral of Eternal Night Dungeon Strategy Guide
Legion Assaults - Defender of the Broken Isles Guide
Pet Battle Dungeon and 7.2 Pets
WoW's 10th Anniversary (November 21 - January 13)
Mists of Pandaria: Cooking Overview
Enjoying our collection of Guides? Try
to support the site, get an ad-free experience, and get premium features!
Other ZAM Sites
Final Fantasy XI
© 2017 ZAM Network LLC